Yarn Along Wednesday

I’ve peeked in at the Yarn Along Wednesday at the Small Things blog lots of times, but never played along. Until today! It’s a weekly blogging theme where people check in and share what they’re knitting and what they’re reading. Since those two activities are what I would spend 95% of my time doing if I were independently wealthy and left to my own devices (the other 5% would likely be drinking beer and eating cookies) I thought I would share!

I’m working on my first big cast-on of 2013, the Solstice Cardigan by Cecily Glowick Macdonald in Quince and Co Osprey in the Chanterelle color.

quinceandco4

solstice1

You may notice that my version is identical to the pattern version – same yarn, same color! I fell so much in love with the sample version and the pattern photos that I wanted that sweater, exactly. I will probably even take my finished photos wearing jeans and Hunter boots (I wish) and standing in front of a barn.

The knitting has been great so far. I really love all the different textures going on in the sweater. Seed stitch, twisted stockinette, and regular old stockinette, with a cool mock cable.

solstice2

As for what I’m reading, I’m getting close to the end of The Diviners by Libba Bray. Let me first just say – this is the only book that has ever given me nightmares. It is creeping me out in a serious way, and I love it! I’m already a huge Libba Bray fan, and this book takes place in the Roaring Twenties (yes, please) in Manhattan (my favorite city) and is full of really intriguing characters whose stories end up intertwining as they cross paths. It’s the perfect kind of scary to me, too – it builds a subtle, growing dread that makes you want to read just one more chapter. But also, you kind of want to slam it shut and hide under the covers at the same time.

diviners

The backdrop to that photo is the weird blue sky from the storm that’s about to roll in to the East Coast. I feel like I should post this quickly, because we’ve already lost power once today! Hopefully it won’t be too bad, and at the very least the thunder and lightning will provide a good creepy reading atmosphere. : )

Check out lots more posts at Yarn Along!

yarnalong_gsheller_aqua

Advertisements

8 thoughts on “Yarn Along Wednesday

  1. Oh your cardigan is just beautiful! I love all those different textures too and your choice of wool is exquisite. Eek, I don’t do spooky books though – you’re super-brave as well as super-clever I think 🙂

    • Thanks so much! : ) I’m not usually a horror fan, either of books or movies, but this was just the right amount of spooky for me!

    • Thanks for the kind words! I haven’t knit a sweater that combined so many textures before. I really like the effect, although you have to pay a bit more attention while knitting!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s