New Project – Lilac Cardigan

A couple weeks ago, I got this in the mail all the way from the UK:


Yay, Kim Hargreaves’ latest! It came out back in the spring, and I’ve been wanting it for a while. It was a bit costly, for a pattern book, but I absolutely love lots of the patterns in it – Daisy, Ruby, and Dolly are some particular favorites. I bought it mainly for Blithe, though, so I could use the Rowan 4ply Cotton with which I’d tried (and failed) to make the Whisper Cardigan.

Alas. I could. not. get. gauge. So frustrating.  To make a long story short, I ended up casting on and knitting a few rows of 117 stitches 4 four times and coming out absurdly too big every time. Started with the recommended US size 2’s – too big. No worries, let’s try size 1’s – still too big. Size 0’s – uh, wow. Still about 5 cm too long. Ugh.

In a fit of pique and knowing that I was not about to go out and buy size 00 needles, I impulsively cast on for Lilac.


I’m really liking it so far! Knitting the lace peplum was entertaining, so much so that I finished it in 3 days. I didn’t have any problems to snag me up on the lace at all.


Now I’m working on the back of the cardigan, which is a faggoting stitch. Not having read ahead in the pattern like normal knitters do, I did not realize that 90% of this sweater consists of my most hated stitch – the p2tog. Egads. My hands are trembling in fear – all those purl decreases in cotton! Using size 0 needles! With foriegn British abbreviations like yrn!

I think I need a nap.



4 thoughts on “New Project – Lilac Cardigan

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s